Monday 15 December 2008

1st practice video

Today (Monday), we were fixed into groups and had to create a practice thriller. My group consisted of Eni, Derick, Michael and Cathrin. Mick showed us a tutorial of ‘’how to use the camera and the tripod’’. During the tutorial Mick paused the video and gave us each a couple of minutes for a practice of the instructions. Than we were asked to create our videos with our group. We decided that only Derick and I were going to be in the video and Catherin and Michael were going to give instructions. Our Video was set in the college, mainly on the ground floor and in the entrance. We asked to make our clip a thriller so decided that Derick was going to be a famous footballer by the name of Heskey and that I was going to be a fan that happens to see him at the college and reacts in a dramatic way. Michael was in charge of the recordings while we were all involved with the camera angles which we were going to use. The first shot was outside of the college and consisted of a zoom out of the college. The next shot was me walking into the college with a newspaper on my hand. We decided that there was going to be a pan of me walking into the college, the reason behind this was to show where I was coming from and where I was going. The shot after this was a pan which showed me entering the college, whilst walking I am reading the newspaper. The reason for the long shot is to show where I am (Inside the college). Here we thought about the type off transition we were going to have. The reason for the transition was that we wanted me (Eni) to go back in time to a time that I saw Dereck in the college corridor. As we found it hard to think of anything, we decided that we were going to use the editing effects for the transition. We carried on the filming and had a long shot of the canteen where I bought a cup of tea. There was a slow zoom on the tea whilst I was pouring the sugar. This allowed us to create suspense, as it was the only Zoom of me walking. Furthermore, we decided that suspense was going to be created from me walking from the entrance to the canteen; we were going to do this by editing footsteps to the walking. The main part of the clip is the reminiscence of Emile Heskey in the corridor. Here we went into my thoughts and to a time where I was sitting down in the canteen, again drinking tea, but this time I see Emile Heskey and react with a shock. When I sat down to drink the tea there is a zoom of the newspaper I am reading. In the newspaper we can see Derick and straight after that shot we have a low angle shot of Eni sitting down reading the newspaper and have Derick walk in. We thought this would be an effective shot as it shows that Eni is clearly focused on the newspaper whilst acknowledging Dericks image. Here we had low angle shot of Eni reading the newspaper, We thought that the low angle would be effective as in this shot we see the entrance of Derick. Here, suspense is created with the soundtrack. We warm the mood up with a slow soundtrack,calm; than as soon as the door opens; Derek walks in, we hear a change in tempo which reveals tension and suspense

No comments: