Monday 23 March 2009

Evaluation for media

The first thing I did was learn different types of shots, angles, position of the camera on how a character enters the scene when it comes to filming. Different types of techniques on how to make viewers feel tension, excitement and worry.



- These are the sheets that show the different techniques.

I started off learning how to create a movie from pen and paper; I did this by creating a storyboard on different kind of scenes. It made me more visual with ideals on how to make a movie more better, it made my imagination expand step by step so I new what was going to happen next in a movie. Even though the process was long drawing out every scene and writing what is happening in the scene, it helped me to be more organized through out the whole filming if I was to create a movie of my own.


- These are the sheets that I created my development of a storyboard

In media I have learnt many things based on thriller movies, we started the prep work on understanding the meaning of the word thriller on how it is develop in movies. The first thing I did was create a brainstorm on different kinds of thriller there is and examples of films that represents the different types of thriller.


- This is the sheet of the brainstorm I did in class.

I also looked at a sheet based on statistics about thriller films and audience, how much profit or lost that thriller movies gained and the audience summary.


- This is the sheet I looked at.

I watch films openings as well, this helped me most because they were professional film directors that produced well named and popular movies through out there history. So I jot down anything that they said which helped them develop and helped their profession as a film director on to the sheet beneath.



- Based on the question they asked I answered them by watching the clips.


In class we had to watch “ The Shining” and we ha to find three examples of a suspenseful meaning, on what makes it suspenseful and how. This helped me understood on techniques on how to build tension.


- This is the sheet I wrote notes down on what I thought built tension for the film.

Then we did a analysis on thriller clips, different kinds of thriller movies we had to watch and jot down notes based on mise-en-sen, this helped me more in detail on what I can do to build more tension. For example the movie 28 days later, it has use of bright lighting to be clear of the view we are seeing, the use of camera shot, birds eye view to see the location and a couple of wide, low, high tracking shot. The music that they use is very deep and echo, phones bashing against the wall and slow mellow music. The editing they use is very blurry and the setting is in the hospital, which represents death and illness.



- This is the sheet I done.


All the techniques that I leant in media did help me to gain more confidence on how to understand a thriller movie and to create my own clip. I especially learnt the different types and perspective on how to develop my professional thriller clip that I produce with my group, the mise-en-sen and all the analysis I did on other thriller clips, and based on all of that our media product, me and my group challenge and develop the different type pf conventions and forms of real media product by trying to take bits and pieces of their professional clips and create a suspenseful thriller clip, and we did this by looking at different types of shots (especially match cuts), angels, soundtracks, costume and lighting that we could use.

My media product is mainly for family watchers. The characters that star in the thriller clip is myself, im Vietnamese, Eni is a Albanian, Derek is a Nigerian and Michael is a Jamaican, so we have different nationalities that we represent, and we worked very well as a group, even though I was the only female in the group we manage to complete a well presented thriller clip. In the thriller clip im acting as being the dead girl, im in my early 20’s, who shows that females are more fragile and weak, even though not much of me is shown in the clip. Derek is the investigator who is in his early 20’s, all suited up and looks very smart, professional and mature which shows a much higher class. He comes into the house, realising that there is a crime scene, as for the last actor Eni, he is the killer who is in his late teens, dresses very casual and plain, who kills me first in the clip and still remains in the house when Derek enters. You can tell that he is the killer, because he is the one holding the knife, sneaking around and going behind Derek to get ready to kill him next.


- This is Dereks car and front house that was used in the thriller clip.

My thriller movie is mainly base on a mainstream audience. For example if I was to describe a certain typical person that would attend to watch my movie, it would be a male called David, 17 years of age, working as a part time retail salesman, but goes to college and likes to go to the movies with his girlfriend to watch the latest films that’s out. As for a female, her name would be Anna who is 19 years of age, who likes to go out with her friends on the weekends to shop and go cinemas, she works as a waitress part time and study’s at a University in London.

In my thriller film, the lead role is Derek. He is known for his stunts, profession of being a well-known actor as an agent and etc… The way he can act upon any character he wants in a movie, he is known for his history of movies that his been in, so being a face of a star and is known by the world, there is no going wrong in promoting a movie, in the right locations. I would advertise the movie by doing trailers of the film after 5, because this is a family movie. I will put the cover of the film up on billboards; I will do this where there is a busy public area and loads of shopping malls. I’ll also put it up on the busses and the underground boards, which is very helpful because many people take transport. Finally I will put it up on the Internet, mainly sites where a lot of people go on, for example Facebook, Youtube and Myspace.

On the practical hands of media, I have learnt many things from the hi-tech technology that I’ve experience on, for example the camera recorder. I learnt how to use it in different ways, especially the tri-pod, I never even new that it was called that. Filming made me understand that you can do so many tricks on using the cam recorder, I was mostly interested in the match cuts, using final cut pro to put it together, it made it look so professional, especially it was quite difficult for us as we only had one cam recorder, but we managed it fine after and I realise that you don’t need so many technology to do many tricks with cam recorder for the audience to be enjoying the movie.


- The 2 technologies that i used, including the umbrella.

It was my first time experiencing how to use final cut pro, I never touched a editing sweep in my life, so it was all new to me and from all that, I no how to cut video’s, putting the videos together. I mostly enjoyed using the soundtracks for my movie, there were so many different sounds, It was kind of hard finding the right track for our movie, so we had to make some of our sounds ourselves, but other than that it was mainly from the final cut pro soundtracks. One of the difficult things I found most was putting the sound on the right time on when the action was happening in the clip. I also used the Internet to record the process of my filming on my thriller clip, so people can have a look into more details of the project, and I even posted up a little intro of the film up on Youtube as well so people can have a slight peek of the film.



The Angel Islington Cinema.


Finally I got feedback from the audience that watched my thriller clip at the angel cinema, all of the media students went to the cinema and the thriller clips was presented on the big screen for all the students to see each others work and this was the feedback I got back from on of the students. The positive side of things is that he said the film is really life like based on where the film was set. The angler writing on the road when of the characters that star in the movie, the intro of the movie when the title “Thirteen“came up with the soundtrack, the pov shot of Derek walking into the house, they really liked the match cut when Derek is going up the stairs and entering in the room to check if anyone is there, and he looked out and the camera was on him at the stairs, the lighting in the living room made the scene very tense, the shot of the envelopes and how the camera was position and the way the cuts introduces area of my body.


- The favorite bit for the audience is the match cut

The negative side of my thriller clip is that they don’t see any meaning of the title, the investigator should of worn a badge so they can recognise what his job was and lastly the lighting of the hallways was to orange.



- This is the sheet I jot down the audiences feedback on.


My own personal comment on this project is that I most enjoyed working as a group, especially my group as we worked very hard on it, in finding the place and all the editing that we did on it. I learnt a lot of new things on editing clips that I didn’t no about, especially cutting them, putting them together and adding soundtracks. I really enjoyed watching everyone’s thriller clips at the cinemas too.


- Two shots of me in the clip. A high angle of the knife, one of my favourite shots.


- This will be me

No comments: